Eric Adams – New York’s newly elected mayor – has just confirmed that he will accept his first three paychecks in Bitcoin. This comes shortly after the mayor delivered an electoral victory speech promising to make New York “a center for Bitcoin.”
In New York we always go big, so I’m going to take my first THREE paychecks in Bitcoin when I become mayor. NYC is going to be the center of the cryptocurrency industry and other fast-growing, innovative industries! Just wait!
— Eric Adams (@ericadamsfornyc) November 4, 2021
- Adams revealed his new plans today on Twitter in response to business podcast host Anthony Pompliano. Two days ago, the popular BTC proponent publicly asked which American politician would be the first to accept his salary in Bitcoin.
- Upon news of his victory, Adams responded that he would be one of them.
- He isn’t the first to make the promise, though. Miami mayor Francis Suarez – another crypto fan – responded to Pompliano a few days earlier, promising to take his next paycheck in the digital asset.
- Adams was not to be outdone, however. He promised to take not one but three paychecks in BTC upon assuming his role as mayor.
- The politician followed by promising that New York would be “the center of the cryptocurrency industry.”
- There appears to be a rivalry forming between Suarez and Adams on this front. Both mayors are now attempting to become global cryptocurrency hubs ahead of their competitors. During his victory speech, Adams even declared that Miami “had its run” and that business would be brought back to the Big Apple.
Binance Futures 50 USDT FREE Voucher: Use this link to register & get 10% off fees and 50 USDT when trading 500 USDT (limited offer).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to get 50% free bonus on any deposit up to 1 BTC.